PURSUANT TO WISCONSIN LAW, this Notice has previously been adopted by the Board of the Western Technical College District, a district organized and existing pursuant to Wisconsin Statute 38.
The Board of the Western Technical College District has directed that this Notice be placed in prominent and conspicuous locations throughout the District so that the Notice can be viewed and inspected by any member of the public. In addition, individual copies of this Notice will be made available to any person who requests such a copy from the official legal custodian of the records of this District.
THE DISTRICT IS SUBJECT TO THE WISCONSIN PUBLIC RECORDS LAW. THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS PROVIDED TO THE PUBLIC TO ASSIST THEM IN OBTAINING ACCESS TO THE RECORDS OF THE DISTRICT.
1. The Board has designated the President as the official legal custodian of the records and property of the District. The President shall designate an officer of the College to serve as legal custodian in the absence of the President. The names of the individuals presently holding these positions can be obtained by contacting the President's Office which is located at the following address: Western Technical College, 111 North Seventh Street, Post Office Box 908, La Crosse, Wisconsin 54602-0908, Telephone: (608) 785-9100.
2. Any public record of the College will be made available for inspection at the offices of the official legal custodian during normal, regular business hours upon proper request. The regular business hours of the offices of the District are from, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. No original public records of the College shall be removed from the possession of the official legal custodian. The official legal custodian shall be responsible for designating where, when and how the public records of the College may be inspected and copied. However, the decisions of the official legal custodian of the records shall be governed by this notice.
3. The policy of the College regarding the release, inspection and/or reproduction of public records is as follows:
a. Upon the receipt of any oral or written request for access to the public records of the College, the official legal custodian will attempt to make such records available as soon thereafter as practicable. An oral request may be denied orally; however, the requester may, within five business days of the oral denial, demand a written statement of the reasons for denying the request, which shall be promptly provided by the official legal custodian.
b. If a written request is denied, either in whole or in part, the requester shall promptly receive from the official legal custodian a written statement of the reasons for denying the written request. If a public record cannot be made available at the time the request is made, the official legal custodian will inform the requester when the record can be made available.
c. If the official legal custodian determines that portions of any records requested contain any information which should not be released, the official legal custodian will edit such records to remove the material not to be released and thereafter release the balance of the document.
4. Any request for computer records of the College will be referred by the official legal custodian to the individual in charge of the equipment involved to determine the cost of any computer search, printing charges and possible time available on the equipment. Since computer time can be expensive, computer information will not be provided until the person requesting the information is informed of the estimated costs.
5. It is not necessary that any person requesting access to the records of the College identify him/herself in order to obtain a record, nor need any person requesting access to the records of the College state any reason for his/her request.
6. Any request for a record must reasonably describe the record or information sought. If the official legal custodian cannot reasonably determine what records or information are being requested, the request shall be denied in writing and the reason for the denial shall be stated in the written denial.
7. Any person shall have not only the right to inspect the records of the College, but also the right to receive a reproduction of such records. In the event that a person files a request for reproduction of any of the records of the College, that person shall be informed of the costs of locating and reproducing such records. Fees charged by the College relative to the costs of such and/or reproduction of the records of the College are set forth in the approved College fees and rates schedule.
This notice is intended to provide all necessary information which might be required by a member of the public in order to obtain access to the records and property of the College. Any questions in regard to this notice shall be directed to the official legal custodian of the records of the College.
This notice may be modified from time to time by board action, but absent such modification, the decisions of the official legal custodian of the records of the College shall be in conformity with its provisions.
Copies of the notice hereby adopted shall be prominently displayed in appropriate locations throughout the College, and a copy of the notice shall be made available to any member of the public upon a request for inspection or reproduction.