The powers and duties of Western Technical College’s District Board are outlined in Wisconsin State Statute
. The Board has exclusive control of all Western Technical College locations and of the property acquired for its use, except as otherwise provided by Wisconsin Statutes. The President has the responsibility for operating, maintaining and preserving the property of the College.
The primary duties of the Board are:
- To formulate and adopt written policies which shall govern the operation of the College, and to periodically review and evaluate College programs and services. Board policies shall apply to all College employees and operations. Student employees, volunteers, and interns are subject to Board policy.
- To employ, evaluate, and set the compensation of the President.
- The Board designee shall approve the employment status and compensation of all employees.
- To levy a tax, on or before October 31 of each year, upon all the taxable property of the District for the purpose of retiring debt and operating the College.
- To utilize its statutory power, as need arises, to borrow funds . The proceeds from such borrowing shall be used for the purchase or construction of buildings, or additions, enlargements and improvements to buildings, for the acquisition of sites and equipment, for meeting temporary or emergency needs for funds for the operation of the College, and for other proper purposes permitted by law.
In addition to the above, the Board shall have all powers granted to it by the legislature and the Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS) Board.